CSA and Juice Feast for October 15th
CSA for October 15th Contains:
RED CHERRY TOMATOES
RED BUTTER LETTUCE (or romaine)
GREEN BELL PEPPERS
GREEN and/or GOLD ZUCCHINI
BIG BOX ADD: HEIRLOOM TOMATOES, BUNCHED SPINACH, ROMAINE LETTUCE, RED BEETS from FRECKER FARMS, ASIAN PEAR(S) from GARCIA FAMILY FARMS
Swiss Chard Wraps with Raw Walnut Taco “Meat”
(I’ve tried walnut “meat” tacos in the past with other wraps and have really enjoyed them. Sometimes I get writers block when it comes to chard. The leaves are so big a beautiful and fresh, but I just can’t think of what to do with them. The taco filling can be substituted for many different actual meats, but you still get a great healthy meal full of delicious farm vegetables.)
Raw Walnut Taco “Meat” – Gluten-free and Vegan
1 1/2 cups raw walnuts (soaked for 2 to 4 hours)
2 teaspoons tamari or gluten-free soy sauce
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground garlic powder
pinch of ground cayenne or chipotle
sea salt to taste
Add everything to your food processor and pulse/process until well combined, but still a tad chunky, you are looking for the texture of taco meat (roughly ground).
Swiss Chard Wraps
for each wrap: Makes 6
1 Swiss chard leaf
1/4 cup raw walnut taco “meat” (see above)
Vegetable toppings: tomato slices, avocado, carrot ribbons, thinly sliced red onion
1-2 teaspoons chipotle cashew cream
other optional toppings: green onions, cucumbers, hummus, sprouts, sun dried tomatoes, feta cheese or goat cheese, sweet bell peppers, etc
Rinse and dry your swiss chard leaves and chop off the stems. I find that taking a paring knife and shaving a bit off the bottom thicker part of the stem, so it will roll up easier, really helps.
Turn the leaf over (so the less green side is up) and top the center of the Swiss chard with the “taco” meat and your veggies, drizzle the dressing over top. You can simply just roll it up with the beautiful colorful veggies peeking out from the ends, or you can tuck the sides in and roll it burrito style. Enjoy.
Secure the wraps with toothpicks, if necessary or wrap them in parchment paper, to take on-the-go.
(Recipe from Tasty Yummies)
If you don’t like raw chard, like my husband…after I made him the previous recipe, check out:
Green Chickpea and Chicken Coconut Curry with Swiss Chard
or Roasted Butternut and Swiss Chard
Greek Salmon Salad
(Adding dill to any salad gives it a new depth of flavor. Not to mention it is full of anti-oxidants, disease preventing, and health promoting properties.)
Ingredients: Serves 2
1 large salmon filet (8-10 ounces)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lemon (you will use the juice from the lemon for the marinade and for the dressing)
1 tomato, chopped
1 cucumber, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fennel (optional and can substitute red onion instead)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice from your lemon
1 ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
½ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
1.Turn your grill on medium-high heat. In a bowl add 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon black pepper. Add the salmon filet to the bowl turning a few times so the salmon is completely covered with the marinade. Spray grill with non-stick spray. Grill salmon on both sides for about 6-8 minutes (the amount of time will depend on how thick the salmon is, mine was pretty thick about 1 ½ inches). The salmon should have grill marks and be cooked all the way through, set aside to cool then shred lightly with a fork.
2.To make the dressing, add all of the ingredients to a bowl and whisk. Prepare the salad and pour the dressing over top. Garnish with chopped dill if desired.
Optional: If you are using fennel add it to a bowl with a little salt and 3 dashes of red wine vinegar. Let it sit for about 10 minutes then pat dry with a paper towel. This lightly pickles the fennel which adds extra flavor.
(Recipe from Stuck on Sweet)
Tahini-Dressed Zucchini and Green Bean Salad
Ingredients: Makes 4 servings (plus about 1/2 cup dressing)
1/2 garlic clove
Coarse sea salt
2 tablespoons light tahini
Finely grated zest and freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 lemon
Freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 orange
1/2 teaspoon honey
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Zucchini and Green Bean Salad
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 medium zucchini sliced into 1/8 inch coins
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 fresh red chile, seeded and finely chopped
Freshly squeezed juice of ½ lemon
1/4 pound green beans, trimmed
4 large handfuls mixed salad greens
Mint leaves, thinly sliced, for garnish
1. Make the tahini dressing: Crush the garlic with a little sea salt and transfer to a medium bowl or glass measuring cup. Add the tahini, lemon zest, lemon juice, orange juice, honey and a grind of black pepper to the bowl and stir until combined. (If the dressing thickens or turns grainy or pasty, thin it out by whisking in a little water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you get a creamy, trickling consistency.) Gently stir in the olive oil. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if needed and set aside.
2. Make the salad: In a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Working in batches, cook the zucchini coins, tossing them occasionally, until tender and browned on both sides, about 2 minutes. Transfer the cooked zucchini to a large bowl.
3. When all the zucchini is cooked, season it generously with salt and pepper. Add the chile and lemon juice and toss until combined. Set aside.
4. Meanwhile, bring a saucepan filled with salted water to a boil and prepare an ice-water bath. Add the green beans to the saucepan, return the water to a boil and blanch for 1 minute. Drain the green beans, then dunk them in the ice-water bath to refresh them. Drain again, pat dry with a clean kitchen towel and toss the beans with the zucchini.
5. Spread the salad greens in a large, shallow serving bowl, then scatter the dressed zucchini and beans and shredded mint on top. Drizzle the tahini dressing generously over the whole lot and serve immediately.
(Recipe from Pure Wow)
JUICE FEAST Contains:
ASIAN PEARS from GARCIA FAMILY FARMS
GREEN BELL PEPPERS
BEETS from FRECKER FARMS
FUJI APPLES from GARCIA FAMILY FARMS